Thursday, August 4, 2011

Eyeglasses Case: Part Deux

If I am trying to remember something, I either have to write myself a Post-It Note or have to set it right in front of me, or I'll totally forget it.  Every evening, I have to put my school computer in the way of the back door, or I'll totally leave it at home! 

So, I made my mom the glasses case.  Met her for lunch yesterday.  Had it in my purse. 

Yup, totally forgot to give it to her.  Oops. 

Maybe that's a good thing.  I'm on my second try, and still need to work out some kinks. 
I'll try it again this weekend. 

Is is sort of silly that now I'm going to show you how I made it? Even after telling you it wasn't perfect and I'm going to still mess with it?  Oh well.  Here we go anyway. 

I cut two pieces of fabric the same size.  Guess I should have measured it.  I did use my glasses as a guide to make sure when I folded the fabric over they'd fit inside!
One fabric is the quilted one; the other just a plain cotton. 
I pinned and sewed them right-sides together.  But, I also cut an elastic hair band in half and pinned it at the very top so when I turned the fabric out, it'd be sticking out the top! Backstitching over the elastic helps it stay in place. I left the bottom of the fabric open so I could flip the fabric right-side out. 

Once I flipped the fabric out, I sewed a button onto the fabric (double check to make sure the elastic band will fit around the button when it's sewed on- actually, check that before you sew it on!).
When the button's on, I sewed shut the opening at the bottom of the fabric.  I'm still working on making those stitches straight!
Then, I folded the fabric over to make the "pouch" and topstitched the bottom and sides shut. 

Yeah, this is where it gets messy!  The fabric was so thick, it barely fit under the foot on my machine! But, after several attempts, I made it work.  This is where I'll have to re-think what to do for next time! 

And, ta da!  All finished!

1 comment:

  1. This looks like it turned out really well!

    Cooper

    ReplyDelete