Friday, July 29, 2011

Oil Cloth Zipper Bags

I think I've developed a habit... and it involves a needle. 

No, I don't do drugs! Seriously... I'm a teacher for goodness sake! 

I realized these last 3 days have been mostly dedicated to sewing (and driving to places for the sewing).  Guess there could be worse things to do with  my free time! 
Look what I made this week!  An oil-cloth zipper pouch!  Cute, huh? 
Notice how I like pouches?  Corn PouchesJewelry Pouches.  Zipper Pouches.

I went to my City Craft class again this week!  Who'd have thought I'd be installing zippers only 3 weeks after buying my first machine!  While I can't give you all the dirty details about how I made this (the directions are copyrighted and I want them to let me come back), I will show you a few pictures!

First of all, oil-cloth is so crazy cool!  I hear it's made of PVC.  (you know, the plastic pipes you made pretend telephones with when you were little... or, was that just me that played with those?) 

Anyway, City Craft has the most amazing patterns of oil cloth.  Love, love, love.

So, I bought 1/2 yard of an oil cloth and a zipper (at least 12").  I only used a 10x14 rectangle of the cloth though for this pouch.

It was easier to make than it looks.  The hardest part for me was figuring out which sides to sew on so when it all matched up, I'd have the seam and zipper on the correct sides.
Are you starting to see it?
Who knew you could cut through zippers so easily?
Oh yeah, did I tell you?  I made TWO pouches in my class and then replicated them today (to make sure I wouldn't forget how I did them!).  Here's the second. 

It's my sister's bday today... can you guess what she's getting as part of her present? (shhh...don't tell her)


1 comment: