Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Jewerly Pouch

My sister gave me a small fabric jewelry pouch a few Christmas' ago from Banana Republic.  Whenever I travel (which seems to be a lot), I always throw my earrings, necklaces, wedding ring, etc. into this pouch and into my suitcase so I don't have jewerly rolling around in my bag. 
After the apron class yesterday, I figured I could make one on my own.  While it's not perfect, I think after a little more practice I'll knock out the kinks. 

Here's how I did it.  (Bear with me)
First, I cut two congruent rectangles out of some fabric.  Mine were about 4 inches by 13 inches (I didn't measure, but a close guess). 

Next, I sewed a button on the top of one of the pieces of fabric (on the shorter side).


The with the right sides facing in (so ugly sides out), I sewed around 3 of the edges.  I left the edge with the button open (so I can reach my hand in).  Flip your fabric right-side out and push out your corners so they look pretty.  Then, you can sew shut the opening by the button.



Create a button hole on the opposite end and side of your fabric from your button. (Make sure it lines up and is on the correct side when you go to button it).  I used the button-holer on my sewing machine-pretty easy.  Then, sew around the sides and bottom to create the "pouch" part.  Don't sew too far up or it won't have the flap to close with the button!

Oops.  I sewed the wrong side so now the button doesn't sit right.  So....

I'm getting good use out of my thread-stripper thingie.  10 minutes later...Let's try this again....
Okay, now we're good. I just folded it the wrong way when I sewed it the first time. 
And, ta-da!  A jewerly pouch for travelling!  In fact, my mother-in-law's birthday is this week and she wants some earrings.  Guess I won't have to buy any gift wrap!

3 comments:

  1. this is adorable! i love your fabric choices as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren-

    Love your blog, love that you sew, and love that you posted a tutorial! this is very cute and I will have to make one to-night! Hopefully Cooper passed along my favorite sewing blogs. I'm very impressed with your sewing skills. Keep it up girl!

    Nicole a.k.a. Mrs. Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. No doubt this is an excellent post I got a lot of knowledge after reading good luck. Theme of blog is excellent there is almost everything to read, Brilliant post man bracelet

    ReplyDelete