Thursday, January 19, 2012

Crayon Caddy

My neice turns 2 this week, so I wanted to make her something fun for her birthday!  I saw this contraption (I'm calling it a Crayon Caddy) at a friend's house and thought, "I can make this!"

So, I've adapted my Mini Apron into this cute Crayon Caddy!
You'll need:
-2 cute fabrics
-Crayons
-a skinny ribbon, mine was about 25 inches long

First, I cut two 8.5" x 25" rectangles out of two coordinating fabrics.
After putting the fabrics right-sides together, I pinned all the way around, leaving a 4" gap on one side (to turn the fabric inside out later).  Sew all the way around (leaving the gap open), turn the fabric right-side out, and press all the way around. 

When you press your fabric, fold the edges of the gap down and flatten them with the iron.  Then, you can topstich along the edge with the opening and sew it closed.
You now have your rectangle.  To start making the pockets:  Fold one side of the fabric up to make one big pocket. 
Make sure the pocket will be deep enough to hold your crayons.
Before you sew, you've got to put the ribbon in place.
Fold your ribbon in half.  Insert the crease of the folded ribbon about 1/2" between the two fabrics.  Pin it into place.  Also, pin both sides where you'll sew your pocket.
Sew the two sides to make your pocket.  Backstitch over your ribbon so it'll be secure.
Now, you've got one huge pocket...So, you need to sew the individual pockets. 
Each pocket of mine was no more than an inch and a half- just enough for a crayon or two to fit. 
Sew... and sew... and sew... until you have enough pockets to fit all your crayons.  I was able to sew about 15 individual pockets.  It'll depend on how wide you make yours.
Now, you can insert crayons, roll them up, and tie it with your ribbon! 
Makes a easy, cute gift.

1 comment: